Welcome to the podcast of ALPS, the conference that wants to make us aware of psychedelic science and its effects on the psyche. A whole program with many speakers from Switzerland, Europe and all over the world.
After 2014 it became possible to treat patients in Switzerland in an out-patient setting with case-by-case licenses for MDMA, LSD and psilocybin. These licenses are issued by the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health based on the Swiss Narcotics Act which allows for a restricted medical use of scheduled psychotropic drugs.
After initially using these substances in a one-to-one setting, a group model was developed which includes up to 12 patients and 3 therapists within a 3-day format. His presentation at the ALPS conference 2021 described this substance-assisted group psychotherapy model, the requirements for therapists and patients, methodological and therapeutic challenges, patient characteristics, outcomes and observations made from 2014 – 2020.
Questions asked to Peter:
- You are a pioneer in MDMA assisted therapy – I saw some videos already from 2010. When did it all start for you and why ?
- Switzerland is known for its use of psychotropic drugs for medical purposes. Could you put this use in a historical context ?
- Why is it easier to begin with MDMA assisted therapy before moving on to other therapeutic processes like LSD ?
- What makes a good therapist ?
- What are your hopes for the next five years ?
Photo by Fiona Art